My Cruelty Free Journey - Update

16:00:00

Its been 18 months now since I decided to go cruelty free and I thought it would be a good time to check in and see how I'm getting on. I'm still ploughing my way through the mountain of stuff I have but there are some categories where I am now completely cruelty free or on the last thing so whilst its going slowly, at least its going! 


Make up and skincare has been relatively easy as there are now a wealth of really exceptional cruelty free brands to choose from. There really is no need to buy anything not cruelty free when it comes to make up and skin care. 


Toiletries and haircare have also been pretty easy as again, there is now so much out there, you are sure to find something you love that is cruelty free. 

The only thing I really struggled with was hair colour but I hit an absolute gem with Naturtint hair colour at Holland and Barratt. I was sceptical at first but thought I'd give it a try and I was completely bowled over by it! It looks amazing, does the job, doesn't have that awful smell and my hair is in the best condition its ever been in, even my hairdresser says she can't believe how shiny it is! If you are looking for a natural hair colour, I can't recommend this one enough. 

Deodorant and toothpaste have been the hardest things for me to switch. I did try and have a go at natural deodorant and tried lots of brands but it just doesn't work as well as the more conventional products on smell. I am fine with the actual sweating part (it's part of nature after all!) but I can't get to the end of the day and feel self conscious about if I smell or not. Natural toothpaste has been the same, I just don't find they give the same results as the more conventional products. Superdrug has saved my life on both of these as all own brand products are certified cruelty free so I know I can have more conventional products but still be cruelty free. Now if I'm struggling for replacements, Superdrug is my first port of call! 

Household products were massively hampered by Ecover and Method starting to test again. I know they are only invertebrates but its the same principle, there is no need for it and its such a backward step so I stopped purchasing them. We live near Unicorn Grocery in Chorlton and they have a great selection of household goods so we have now switched to BioD who I think are not only better than Ecover and Method, but cheaper! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe