Starting on the path of green cosmetics - What do you do whilst shopping?

15:14:00

Shopping can suddenly become a minefield if you don't know what you are looking for. Aside from that, its really hard seeing brands you used to love and use all the time and not being able to use them anymore!

My tips are:

  • If you decide to not use a whole brand, ignore their counters!
  • If you want, say, a shower gel, find the section and ignore brands you don't like.
  • Pick one up off the shelf and flip it over before reading the claims on the front. Read the ingredients.
  • If it contains something you don't like, it goes back. Try again with another one.
  • If you are happy with the ingredients, then weigh up what it claims it will do with what seems reasonable. If it seems worth the money, go ahead and buy it. 
  • With these claims, what do you really expect from the product? I'm happy as long as it cleans me and smells nice. I don't want anything more!

I'm being slightly mean here. I've done this already. I know what I can and can't buy in Boots and Superdrug but I think it's better you try this for yourself than just head straight for what I say to. If anything, it will open your eyes to what lies ahead if you are serious about changing what you use. 
If you are shopping online, most natural companies will tell you that they don't use certain ingredients without you having to look because, again, natural brands will tell you what they do because they are proud of doing it.

Some websites have done all the hard work for you already and will state that none of their products contain certain ingredients. Others will provide a full ingredient list for each product for you to check yourself. 
What do you do if they say they use plant/natural ingredients and then don't give you an ingredient list or other statement? I err on the side of caution and treat the product as containing everything I hate. Much as I may want to, I can't prove otherwise!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe